As a German federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government in achieving its objectives in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ operates worldwide and has been operating in China for 40 years.
Assignment Period: at least for two years
Type of employment: full-time job
Application deadline: as soon as possible
Our Project “Sino-German Climate Partnership Project” based in Beijing is looking for a highly motivated and professional Project Manager with extensive experience in energy sector and international cooperation, starting on 16th September 2020. The successful candidate will be mainly responsible for independently managing of the scrutiny missions for the future cooperation between German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) and National Energy Administration (NEA) as well as other relevant ministries of P.R. China. The task profile includes a comprehensive range of project management tasks, e.g. the advisory and support of Sino-German political dialogues, policy research and analysis as well as the implementation of project activities in close collaboration with Chinese partners including public institutions, local governments, industry associations and enterprises.
- Independently exploring future cooperation topics and approaches for German and Chinese ministries in a project proposal and project acquisition
- Technical and organizational support for implementing project activities and events in coordination with the project team.
- Providing advice on the policy and regulatory framework to promote the energy transition, in particular on measures to increase the share of renewable energy in the energy system and to reduce carbon emissions.
- Research, analysis and summary of up-to-date information on China’s energy sector development, policies and regulations as well as economic restructuring of resource-dependent regions.
- Facilitating exchange of experience on energy topics between German and Chinese stakeholders.
- Regular contacts and dialogue with Chinese partners on national and local level.
- Planning, coordination, monitoring, evaluation and reporting of project activities.
- Knowledge management within the framework of the project (especially information and know-how on German and Chinese energy and climate policies and technologies).
- Master and/or Doctor degree in a field related to the project’s topics, e.g. electric power system, renewable energy, energy economy, climate protection etc.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the energy sector, in particular energy market, energy transition, renewable energy or similar.
- Work experience in Chinese government agencies or energy utilities and well connected in energy sector.
- Knowledge of Chinese and international policies and best practices on renewable energy, overall energy transition, as well as structural transformation towards a low-carbon economy. Knowledge of German policies and experiences are an advantage.
- Excellent organizational and project management skills. Efficient, accurate and high-quality delivery of all work-related output.
- Strong work ethics, reliability, personal integrity and motivation. The successful candidate must be able to handle multiple simultaneous assignments with competing priorities and fixed deadlines.
- Chinese native speaker and fluency in English or German (written and spoken).
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and networking skills. Diplomatic communication and political sensitivity are required due to work in a bilateral government cooperation project of high visibility.
We are a provider of international cooperation services for sustainable development and work to build a future worth living around the world. We support projects in over 130 countries to achieve goals sustainably together with our partners.
Everyone has the same opportunities in our company, regardless of gender, nationality, religion, sexual orientation or physical disability. We recruit based on specialist expertise and social skills.
Transparency and fair opportunities for career advancement are just as much as a matter of course for us as gender not being a barrier to taking up a management position.
We provide opportunities for taking part in training and professional development to all our staff. Our Academy for International Cooperation (AIZ) will help you develop your skills.
We reward our staff with good remuneration, attractive benefits and cooperative working atmosphere.
Comprehensive task profile in a highly dynamic and inspirational field of work.
As a non-profit, federally owned enterprise, the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is active in over 130 countries worldwide, implementing international cooperation projects and measures in the field of sustainable development on behalf of the German Government, as well as other national and international clients (e.g. EU, private enterprises, and foundations). In addition, GIZ is also engaged in the field of professional training around the globe.
With about 40 years of experience implementing projects in the People's Republic of China, GIZ provides policy advice on various topics and sectors relating to China’s reform process, including: environmental protection, sustainable economic development (especially renewable energies and energy efficiency), sustainable urban development, sustainable transport development, vocational training, law, product safety and consumer protection.
The performance profile of GIZ is continually being adapted to the cooperation needs of both countries – within the framework of the “Comprehensive Sino-German Strategic Partnership” – as well as within the framework of the dynamic changes occurring as a part of Chinese reform policies. In addition, GIZ works as both adviser and service provider at the interface between the economic and political spheres. GIZ is also active in those fields in which German actors possess in-depth profiles and competitive advantages, and where German expertise is in high demand.
Sino-German Climate Partnership (SGCP) Project
Commissioned by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU), the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH implements the Sino-German Climate Partnership (SGCP) Project to facilitate the climate and energy related political cooperation between Germany and China.
The new phase of this project will start in September 2020. In this phase, energy cooperation topics and approaches related to a green and low-carbon transition in the energy system and promotion the shift to a low carbon economy, will be identified and prepared in a project proposal according to the requirements of BMU and Chinese responsible ministries as the National Energy Administration (NEA) and the National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC), as well as local partners for instance the local governments of coal-dependent regions.
The energy sector is a crucial field of action in mitigating climate change, and a dialogue and cooperation in this field between China and Germany as leading economies with strong industrial sectors will be meaningful for the global climate protection.
Please send your complete application (with the subject: Application for Job-ID 2020-537) incl. cover letter, CV, references and photo indicating your starting date and salary expectation in English and Chinese, via E-Mail as soon as possible to:
In addition, please mention in your cover letter how you got to know about our job advertisement.